Tips to Prevent Car Theft
Worried about the possibility of your car being stolen? If so, the National Insurance Crime Bureau urges you to follow a “layered approach” to auto theft protection by employing the following steps:
- Common Sense: Use the cheapest, most basic form of defense lock your car and take your keys.
- Warning Device: Use a visible or audible warning device/alarm system.
- Immobilizing Device: Keep a would-be thief from staring or taking your car by using “kill” switches, fuel cut-offs, and smart keys. They are among the devices which are high and low tech, but extremely effective.
- Tracking Device: Consider the higher end of high tech tracking devices. These are among the newer devices available, and they can alert both you and law enforcement the moment an unauthorized user moves your vehicle.
- Passive and Active Anti-Theft Systems: Use one of these systems to help thwart a would-be thief. Passive devices automatically arm themselves when the vehicle is turned off, the ignition key removed, or a door is shut. Active devices require some independent physical action before they are set, such as pushing a button, or placing a “lock” over a vehicle component part.