Cleaning is something that nobody really likes to do. Regardless of how little it is or what we are cleaning, there is nothing fun about it. And when it comes to your drip coffee pot, it usually gets pushed to the side and is never cleaned, aside from the rinsing of the carafe after each use. I can say that I am just as guilty as anyone when it comes to this, especially when I’m drinking office coffee.
But when it comes to the coffee I fix at my house my own coffee pot, I have never cleaned it in the 3 years I’ve had it. This poses many problems, one of which is the lackluster flavor of the coffee. The lost flavor in coffee comes from having a dirty pot and using unfiltered water. One of these is easy to correct, the other one takes a little more work. So when that time comes for you to clean your coffee pot, which I hope is sooner rather than later, simply follow these few steps and you will have the best flavored coffee you’ve had from your own coffee pot since the day you bought the machine!
- Combine 2 cups of water to 1 cup of vinegar.
- Pour the mixture in where you typically pour your water and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
- Next, turn on your machine and run it through a “brew cycle”. Once it is finished, turn off everything and let it cool down completely.
- You can run it through this cycle with just water 1 or 2 more times if you would like, and don’t worry about the vinegar smell. That will quickly disappear as well as remove the stale coffee smell from inside the machine.
- Clean any of the removable parts of the machine in hot soapy water. This is usually just the compartment that you put your filter and grinds into.
- If your carafe is still stained, sprinkle some baking soda in it and that should help to scrub it clean and remove any stale coffee flavors as well.
- Use a clean, damp cloth to wipe down where the water is spritzed onto the coffee grounds and where the coffee comes out, just above the carafe.
Now you have a “like-new” coffee pot and don’t have anything to be ashamed of the next time you have company over. Also, for best results, repeat this process every 2-4 weeks.