How To Correctly Run A Vacuum
Vacuuming is the nagging chore that nobody wants to do, but it has to be done, much like dusting. Regardless of having hardwood floors or carpet, we all must vacuum in order to keep our houses or apartments clean and in order. Of course, having central vacuum is the way to go, if it is possible. But for those that must do it the “old fashioned way”, these tips will make it seem like less of a hassle and are the steps to doing it the right way.
- Use an extension cord. For obvious reasons, this one is very important. There is nothing worse than trying to reach that last spot, only to be a foot short and having to unplug and replug in an outlet near where you are just to finish.
- Use a carpet cleaner to deodorize. This is really doing two things at once by helping clean the carpet and deodorizing the floor as well, giving your house a fresh, clean scent. And now, most carpet deodorizing powders come in a variety of scents for you to choose from. Simply sprinkle the powder on the carpet and let it set for 15 minutes before vacuuming.
- Clean your vacuum. What’s the point in using a dirty vacuum to try and pick up dirt off the floor? You wouldn’t use dirty soap to wash you car, would you?
- Focus on high-traffic areas. This would be any area that you walk by on a daily basis. Most areas would be the doorways, in front of the couch, around the bed, etc. These should be vacuumed weekly, while low traffic areas, such as closets, under furniture, etc. should be hit every few weeks. However, if you are particular about vacuuming or dust, you can hit those areas at the same time on a weekly basis.
- If you can, get vacuum friendly rugs. Some of us don’t have a choice in the type of flooring we get, but if you can, try to get a rug that is easy to clean, like low-pile, synthetic rugs. Not to say that there is anything wrong with shag or wool, this type of carpet is just easier to handle. But, if you do have deep, set in stains, regardless of the type of carpet you have, hire a professional carpet cleaning company to help out.