10 Things You Never Thought About Cleaning (But Should)
Cleanliness is something that we all should strive for, regardless of who we are and for the most part, we do a pretty good job of that. We vacuum our house, wash our dishes, clean the bathroom, etc. Basically, anything that we know needs to be cleaned, we clean. But have you ever thought about things such as your credit cards or your steering wheel? These are just a couple of things that we should clean frequently just because of how much they are used. It might not seem like that big of a deal, but there are germs being spread everywhere. I’ll go ahead and warn you too, there are some things on this list that might shock you and have you going to clean them immediately.
- Your remote control. While it is typically just your hands or your family that touches this, who’s to say they or you haven’t been in contact with someone who was getting sick and you shook their hands. Clean this about once a week if you have children otherwise every couple weeks should be good.
- Car steering wheel. It will surprise you at how much nastiness comes off when you take a clorox wipe to this.
- Pop up sink toppers. Yours is probably full of hair and should be cleaned.
- Heating and air conditioning vents. We don’t clean this often enough and with all the dust and dirt particles, vent cleaning needs to be done on a regular basis, especially when it is running a lot. It’s real simple, just take a knife and an old cleaning rag and go in between each vent to get it cleaned.
- Credit cards. Think about how many times a day these are handled, and not entirely by us. We don’t know what the cashier’s hygiene is like at the grocery, so it is best to always clean these.
- Can opener. If you are like me, you have probably never cleaned this.
- Your kid’s Legos. This should be done about once a month, possibly more if the neighbor’s kids are over there playing with them. And don’t fret if your child has a million Legos. Simply put them in a mesh back and throw them in the washer.
- The kitchen knife block. We are so used to just pulling out the knife we need and using it, but have you ever thought about what nasty things could be growing down there? It has never been cleaned and if your knives are completely dry when they are put back up in the block, who knows what is growing down there.
- Bath mats. Think about how much water is falling on this. It is a breeding ground for all types of mold and bacteria which then get tracked all over the house, so make sure you clean this pretty regularly.
- Toothbrush holder. We probably don’t look into this one enough, but similar to the bath mats, water is dripping down the toothbrush into the holder and can create all kids of gross things forming in the damp, dark places.