It’s plain and simple – having stretch marks is embarrassing. They can completely diminish one’s confidence, as they feel more and more self-conscious about their body every time somebody else looks at them. Stretch marks are a form of scarring on the skin with an off-color hue. They are caused by tearing of the dermis, which over time may diminish, but will not disappear completely.They form to basically keep your skin from falling apart. Stretch marks are more extreme when coupled with an increase in cortisone, a hormone produced by the adrenal glands. Almost everybody will experience them on their body at some point in their lifetime, some worse than others. So what causes stretch marks?
- Pregnancy. A majority of pregnant women develop stretch marks by the end of their pregnancy. The physical stretching of the skin, along with hormonal factors, likely plays a significant role.
- Weight gain. Stretch marks sometimes occur during substantial weight gain. This is especially true when the weight is gained quickly. Weightlifters can develop stretch marks, particularly on the arms. Adolescents may notice stretch marks during growth spurts.
- Medication use. Corticosteroid creams, lotions and pills and chronic use of oral or systemic steroids can cause stretch marks.
- Conditions or diseases. Cushing’s syndrome and adrenal gland diseases can cause widespread stretch marks, as can Marfan syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and other hereditary (genetic) disorders.
Although they may be a cosmetic concern, stretch marks don’t require medical treatment. However, just because it’s not required doesn’t mean it’s not popular. Even one of the most common plastic surgeries is the removal of stretch marks by laser. Laser stretch mark treatment is an advanced solution that can help you get the clearer, smoother skin you desire. It’s a nonsurgical approach to improving stretch marks with well-tolerated treatments that require little to no downtime. The only problem with stretch mark laser treatments is the dent it puts in your wallet. Typically, a single session will cost you anywhere from $500 – $1,000, and there is usually a minimum of three required sessions.
If you want to get some natural stretch mark solutions without dipping into your savings, there are some natural things you can do. These stretch mark treatments don’t require your body to be shot with lasers and won’t put you into debt. Some of these methods may seem a little too crazy to work, but they are all tested and approved.
Potato juice contains vitamins and minerals that foster growth and restoration of skin cells.
- Cut a medium-sized potato into thick slices.
- Take one of the potato pieces and rub it gently on the stretch marks for a few minutes. Make sure the liquid from the potato covers the affected area.
- Allow the potato juice to dry for some time and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Natural white sugar is one of the best natural remedies to get rid of stretch marks. You can use the sugar to exfoliate your skin.
- Mix a tablespoon of raw sugar with some almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply it on the stretch marks and other skin areas.
- Gently rub the mixture on the skin for at least 10 minutes every day before taking a shower.
- Do this for four weeks or so and watch your stretch marks become lighter.
Aloe vera is effective in the treatment of stretch marks as well as many other skin problems. It has various essential nutrients and active compounds that can be used in the treatment of minor burns, while its healing and soothing properties can be used to get rid of stretch marks. There are a couple of ways to make this work for you:
- You can directly rub aloe vera gel on the affected skin area, leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse the skin with lukewarm water.
- Another option is to make a mixture with one-fourth cup of aloe vera gel, oil from 10 vitamin E capsules and oil from five vitamin A capsules. Rub this mixture onto the skin until fully absorbed. Repeat this process daily.
Is it really that simple? Keeping your body well hydrated helps protect the skin from many kinds of problems. Well-hydrated skin results in regular detoxification of skin pores and restores elasticity, which will help the in demise of your stretch marks. Try to drink one to two glasses of water several times during a day. Experts say a minimum of 8 glasses of water per day is the best way to keep the body hydrated. It will also make your skin soft and help maintain its elasticity.
Another simple ways to lessen stretch marks is to use lemon juice. Lemon juice is naturally acidic which helps heal and reduce stretch marks, skin injuries, acne, and other scars.
- Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks using circular motions. Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Another option is to mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply the mixture on the stretch marks.
Olive oil contains a lot of nutrients and antioxidants that help improve various skin problems including stretch marks.
- Massage slightly warm pure olive oil into the affected skin area. This will improve the blood circulation and reduce the stretch marks to a great extent.
- Leave it for half an hour so that the vitamins A, D and E present in the oil are absorbed by the skin.
You can also mix olive oil with vinegar and water and use it as a night cream. This will keep your skin stay moisturized and also exfoliate the skin.
Oils To Remove Stretch Marks:
- Lavender oil- ½ tsp
- Chamomile oil – ½ tsp
- Almond oil – 2 tsp
- Mix lavender, chamomile oils with almond or the other carrier oil that you are using.
- Mix them well.
- Apply this oil mix to your stretch marks daily.
- Do this preferably thrice or four times a day.
Apricot Mask to Remove Stretch Marks:
A lot of people use apricot scrub for rapid removal of stretch marks from their skin. However, I this is the recipe for a mask made from apricot that you have to apply on your stretch marks daily for at least a month:
Get these things:
• Apricots- 2-3
• Lukewarm water- enough to wash off your skin having marks.
• Cut open the apricots and remove their seeds.
• Crush the fruits to get their paste.
• Apply this apricot paste on your stretch marks.
• Leave for about 15-20 minutes.
• Now wash off with warm water.
• Repeat everyday (you may initially do it twice a day) for a month